Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Not so good at blogging



Well, I'm formulating my first posting, which will focus on a knitting issue I'm dealing with currently.  First of all, I got an email today from a person who wanted to see something I made, which was apparently referenced in someone else's blog.  Sure wish I knew who the first blogger was, but anyway.  I had to send her to a museum's website and tell her to download a PDF catalogue.  This got me thinking about the original piece she'd asked about. Why do I just make stuff and send it off and act like it never happened?  I liked that work, I was proud enough of it to submit it to a show, but still and all, I think I was worried about recreating it, or using it professionally, because it's jewelry, and I'm no jeweler, I have no academic background in that, and I have infinite respect for my friends who are trained as metalsmiths (oodles of friends who are metalsmiths and/or make a living off creating unique and wonderful pieces of jewelry.)  Anyway, here are some images of the work I'm talking about, called Return to Tiffany's, and including the one piece the museum did not want which I call Charm.  (I guess my 'heart' does look like a big tongue. Not that that's necessarily a BAD thing. ) 

1 comment:

Jaana said...

As one of those people making my living from jewelry, I still don't consider myself a "jeweler" either (always brings to mind setting saphires in platinum and such, and people keep asking you to reset the stones in their gumball rings). Wearable art is a democratic category where we all have to defend and define ourselves, so welcome to the club. And YAY, you have BLOG!