Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year, new work.

Last night was the end of 2009, and because we're old, and everyone was grumpy, I headed down to the studio for a little while to see if I could shake my funk. I am working on a round-ish blue basket, and last night was also a Blue Moon. Once in a blue moon, you get a funny idea with which to entertain yourself. So I worked on this basket, and might have finished it, but the whole time I was stitching away tediously I was trying to decide whether I wanted it to be my last work of 2009 or my first work of 2010. In the end I left two small seams on the very bottom unsewn, and I plan to finish them today, a little later. Officially, the Blue Moon Basket will be dated 2010. It's a very plain form, a little Modernist, even - and I'm hoping that will draw the viewer's attention to the intricacies of the materials (more vintage millinery stuff). The first piece to be shown in 2010 will actually be Cream Puff, as it goes off to Pittsburgh in February. I'll post photos of both baskets soon.

(What is it with me and Pittsburgh? Two of my most influential undergrad mentors grew up there, and now, I can't seem to get rejected from a show there. I guess I should start considering a visit. It seems to be a spiritual home of some sort.)

No comments: