Thursday, January 8, 2009

Three baskets I made in Fall, 2008




A long time ago, Michael Cepress and I went to visit Kay Flick (see my first post) and she sold us a big box of vintage hat trims she'd gotten on ebay thinking they were "antique" instead of "vintage."  We divided the goods up, and since it was all pretty light weight as art supplies go, they've made it through 3 moves with me.  I finally began to work with the stuff, which is mostly 50's and 60's millinery horsehair braiding, and came up with these 3 small baskets.  The bottom one, called "Lazy Amphora" has been accepted into "Web and Flow, Contemporary Baskets" show coming up at the Textile Center, in Minneapolis.  The others are called "Elk Cove" (top) and "Dark Pull" (bottom.)  

The top photo was taken with my new camera, compliments of a Grant in Aid of Research from the university. Thanks, University! 

2 comments:

Dr Write said...

I love, love, LOVE that first one. Can I buy it? (once I get a house where I can properly display it,I mean...)
Awesome. And congrats on the show. I wish I could be there to see it.
You rock.

MC said...

I remember that excursion so very well. Not sure where my piles of Flick-inspired goodies have gone. Clearly you've put yours to much better use than I.

These are really lovely objects. Elk Cove is a knockout. A nice little nod to Kay Sekimachi, who has always been one of my favorites.